Quiz 9 - Bees Species
This is a 12 question multiple choice quiz, complete the statements!
In taxonomy, what type of insects are Hymenoptera?
- Insects with membranous wings, ans an ovipositor / stinger.
- Insects with clear wings and yellow and black striped bodies.
- Any insects that fly during the daylight hours.
- All insects that nest in cavities or confined spaces.
What family of insects were honeybees originally part of?
- The hoverfly family of predatory insects.
- Originally part of the insect eating wasp family.
- They were originally a unique family of insects seperate to all others.
- They were part of the large group of insects that don't hibernate.
Mining bees are part of which group of bees?
- Mining bees are part of the social bee group.
- Mining bees are part of the cuckoo bee group.
- Mining bees are part of the group of solitary bees.
- Mining bees are completely seperate group seperate to the rest.
How do Leaf-Cutter Bees collect and transport pollen?
- The collect it in the pollen baskets on their rear legs.
- They don't have pollen baskets so collect on their hairy bellies.
- They don't require to collect pollen at all.
- They hold the pollen in their mouths to transport it.
What is the latin name for our native black bee species?
- Apis mellifera lugistica
- Apis mellifera ceropia
- Apis mellifera mellifera
- Apis mellifera carnica
What defines a cuckoo bee from the other types of bee.
- They don't build their own nests or nurture their own young.
- They live alongside host species by imitating their workers.
- They only build simple nest structures to store food.
- They are much greater in number than their host species.
Social Bees include which groups of bees?
- Includes only the bumblebees and the honeybees.
- Includes only the honeybees and some of the cuckoo bees.
- Includes the bumblebees, honeybees and some of the cuckoo bees.
- Only includes the honeybees.
Bumblebees have a similar lifecylcle to what other species?
- Their lifecycle is very similar to the wasps.
- Their lifecycle is very similar to the honeybees.
- They are not similar to any other species.
- They lifecycle is very similar to the hoverflies.
How do bumblebees and wasps ensure continued survival in winter?
- They go into deep hibernation during the winter months.
- They continue to breed right through the winter months.
- Young fertilised queens overwinter in warm nucs and crannies.
- They move in with bumble bees nests to keep warm.
Where do bumblebees store thier honey and pollen?
- In honeycomb very similar to honeybees.
- They don't store any honey or pollen in the nest.
- They store it in specially prepared chambers outside the nest.
- They store it in the nest in open wax pot cells.
What is the attraction that makes humans keep honeybees in hives?
- Their habit of creating a substantial store of honey for the winter.
- Their behaviour makes them interesting pets to keep.
- They require no care or maintenance to keep.
- They can be kept anywhere in any container.
What is the term for a species that gains advantage by looking like something else?
- Betesian mimicry.
- Mullerian mimicry.
- False mimicry
- Adapted mimicry.